It really is that far as the crow flies from the farm in Idaho to Quito, Ecuador.
Hmmm...so I'm not sure how I'll keep a blog up to date since I don't even write in my journal very often, but I'll try.
Tomorrow is my big day for adventure...we'll see if I can navigate myself around the city without getting too lost. I tried to take a taxi the other day and he apparently didn't know where the address was- he drove in the entirely opposite direction, then dropped me off at a corner and said it was a block to the left. After walking a few blocks, I discovered that was just his way of getting me out of the taxi without actually having to find the government office I needed to go to in order to register my visa. At least I can communicate with the people... so I went into a bookstore eventually to ask if they recognized the name of the street. They didn't, of course, since Quito has 1.2 million people, so I bought a map. This time when I climbed in the cab I was armed properly, and we arrived with no incidents with me navigating.
Josh West (one of my professors for those who don't know him) called it "opportunistic sight-seeing" when he heard about it. I'd rather the planned variety, though.
Haha! I had that happen all the time with the moto-taxis in Cambodia. I would usually get someone at the destination on the cell phone with my moto-driver and get there. Tried to find an LDS church once, he took me to the Catholic Church. I said, "Not quite." =D
ReplyDeleteglad you have a blog. glad that grant makes comments. I'm having flashbacks. Except that your Spanish is way better than mine was when I got to the D.R. Well, I'm glad that you had a nice adventure.
ReplyDeleteOh, come on! You know you like to follow trends. You are only keeping a blog because everyone else is. I wish you'd just stop following the crowd all the time... :) No, I'm glad that we'll be able to keep up with what you're doing. Who knows, you may even find that you enjoy it! Plus you can check out our blog to keep up on what's going on back here. fantasticfrandsens.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteSo he ran you around in circles, probably racking up the meter, charges you for it and then leaves you in the wrong place....I love S.A!
ReplyDelete